10.00 – 16.30 London | 4 November 2014
Scandinavian House, 2-6 Cannon Street, London EC4M 6YH
A one-day seminar organised by Social Business International in partnership with:
- Bates Wells Braithwaite
- University of Northampton
- Unity Trust Bank
- Baker Tilly
Event Sponsors – Big Society Capital, CaSE Insurance
This one-day seminar focused on the needs and interests of established social businesses seeking finance on acceptable terms to grow their operations and impact.
The seminar was designed to equip participants with the practical information and knowledge about financial models that can support successful growth strategies and the relevance of finance being offered by specialist fund managers. It provided inspiration with stories of what is possible and gave some much-needed insight into lessons learned. It included a unique “reverse dragon’s den” where social enterprise leaders quizzed fund managers about the how the products they offer may be of use to social enterprises seeking to grow.
Uniquely starting from the perspective of the social business, this event cut through the hype about social investment and provided a practical overview of the different financial models that can finance growth. It explored a range of debt and equity solutions that relate to different levels of risk, with a series of presentations from experts and with practical case studies.
Those who attended included: senior staff of social businesses responsible for raising capital (CEOs, Finance Directors, Business Development Directors) and others interested in the growth of social enterprise.
Scanning the landscape, Baker Tilly
– Legal Considerations, Bates Wells Braithwaite
Quasi-equity and Mixed Deals
– Homes for Good – Case Study, Impact Ventures UK
Social Investment Moving Forward
– Development of a Social Investment Market, Big Society Capital
Relevant Social Impact Papers referenced by Jim Clifford
– Pioneer’s Post article on G8, Jim Clifford
Social Impact Investment Taskforce Reports – established by UK’s presidency of G8
– Legal Perspectives, Bates Wells Braithwaite
– Bonds, SITR and CITR, Triodos Bank
– Social Investment Tax Relief, ClearlySo
– Tax Relief – Legal Perspectives, Bates Wells Braithwaite
Dragons on the Run – Funder Offers
– Social & Sustainable Capital, Web: socialandsustainable.com
– The FSE Group, Web: www.thefsegroup.com